Animal Health Technician (RVT)
Are you passionate about animal welfare? This position is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to make a significant difference in the lives of lost, unwanted and abandoned pets while helping the organization continue to expand and develop.
The Swift Current SPCA is looking for a Registered Veterinary Technician to become the Animal Health Technician on its busy team. Our shelter is well established, providing services to the City of Swift Current for over 45 years. We operate the only Animal Shelter in the southwest corner of the province. SPCA Swift Current is currently engaged in the planning process for an expansion of its facility and services. Your training and education will be valuable assets in helping us broaden our programming and its reach within the community. We operate a no-kill shelter. Our workload is consistent, but not high-volume, caring for approximately 300 animals each year. All surgeries and lab work are referred to local veterinary clinics. We also operate the City Pound on behalf of the City of Swift Current. We’re proud to say that our dedication to health protocols and high standards of hygiene has kept our Shelter free of major disease outbreaks in recent years.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic team player with a strong work ethic, good people skills and the ability to manage their time efficiently. We offer competitive compensation commensurate with experience, an employee benefits package, and support to attend the annual Animal Welfare Conference.
Our Animal Shelter is situated in a small friendly community of 15,000, centrally located within a 2-3 hour drive of major centres including Regina, Saskatoon and Medicine Hat. Our community has great public schools and post-secondary opportunities, a vibrant cultural scene and an abundance of recreational activities. The City of Swift Current is home to four veterinary practices, with others in the region. To learn more, visit www.swiftcurrent.ca.
Reporting to the Shelter’s Operations Manager, the Animal Health Technician will perform a variety of animal health care duties supporting both the SPCA shelter and the public. You will:
- Handle intake of all animals, applying our intake protocols for health checks, routine diagnostic checks, vaccines, parasite control, etc.
- Determine priority for medical care, and coordinating with external veterinary clinics for additional medical care outside the capabilities of the SPCA Shelter.
- Act as liaison with local veterinarians to arrange for spay and neuter surgeries for shelter animals.
- Administer vaccinations and any medications prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Participate in and direct the efforts of the kennel attendants in the daily feeding, watering and bathing of shelter animals and the cleaning of their enclosures.
- Ensure the cleanliness and sanitation of animal areas to highest standards.
- Monitor the health of all animals in the shelter. Receive reports from kennel attendants, foster families and volunteers regarding health status/observations of animals.
- Microchip animals as required.
- Maintain excellent documentation of health and care activities for all animals.
- Apply organizational policies and procedures.
- Participate in outreach adoption events.
- Respond to specific questions from the public on animal health care.
- Maintain a good knowledge of animal breed, behavior, and handling; animal health and the ability to identify illness.
- Handle, restrain and care for animals undergoing treatment or recovering from surgery.
- Monitor pets for signs of distress or disease and recommend animals for the Foster Program as appropriate.
- Recommend animals for the Barn Buddy Program.
- Provide transportation of shelter animals to and from veterinary clinics as needed.
- Advise clients about nutrition and care of animals.
- Provide nursing care and rehabilitation therapy for animals.
- Provide wound and bandage care.
- Be prepared to handle any pet or facility emergency that may arise, including dog or cat fights, choking or strangulating animals, and facility fire or weather-related emergencies. Follow contingency plans.
- Work with the Operations Manager to ensure the security of people and pets, and the building.
- Provide coverage for the Operations Manager for short periods of time.
We are looking for someone who possesses the following skills & qualifications:
- Must be motivated to act in the best interests of the animals at all times.
- Must be reliable and prepared to work by the start of each scheduled shift.
- Excellent communications, organizational, technical and interpersonal skills.
- Shows maturity, good judgment and performs duties in a professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and stay calm in stressful situations.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects (pallets, food bags, animals, etc.)
- Demonstrated capability to be a self-starter, facilitator, and organizer.
- Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, and shelter database software.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and possession of First Aid / CPR certificate are considered assets.
Most of your work will be performed in an animal shelter setting, although there will are opportunities to work in the community developing and broadening our programming.
This is a full-time permanent position of approximately 35 hours per week. You must be available for a regular 5 day a week full-time schedule, which includes one weekend day. (A normal schedule is Tuesday-Saturday.) Some overtime may be required periodically throughout the year. You may share responsibility with the Operations Manager for the Shelter’s emergency phone line, which is used by the R.C.M.P. and the City of Swift Current.Minimum 2 years of College Diploma in Veterinary Technology is required. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
The Swift Current SPCA will require you to obtain a criminal record check. Maintaining confidentiality about our animals and our clients is very important and all employees must sign our confidentiality agreement.
You must have a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license, as well as your own transportation. Our starting wage is competitive, and we offer an Employee Benefits Plan to all employees who successfully pass their probation period.
Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
To apply for this career opportunity, please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org