Did you know…
- The five most common dog names: Male: Bailey, Max, Charlie, Buddy and Rocky
Female: Bella, Lucy, Molly, Daisy and Maggie
- The ten most popular dogs (AKC, 2015) are in order: Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Bulldog, Beagle, French Bulldog, Yorkshire Terrier, Poodle, Rottweiler and Boxer
- A famous Beagle you might have heard about is Snoopy the dog. He was a character from the Peanuts comic strip. Everyone loved the adorable Beagle named Snoopy that was in the newspaper since 1950.
- Dachshunds were bred to fight badgers in their dens.
- Chicken or steak bones leftover from dinner can choke your dog or break and cause damage to the inside of her body. Visit your favorite pet store to find special bones that are safe for your dog to chew.
- Some dogs have coats with two layers: the beautiful hair you can see, and a hidden, second coat called an undercoat. This undercoat helps a dog stay warm and dry in cold weather and it protects his skin from the hot sun, too.
- A puppy is born without teeth. When the pup is three to four weeks old, 28 teeth will break through the gums so the puppy will be able to eat solid food.
- Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born and develop their spots as they mature and grow older.